Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Gathered Clutch

The best project for using scraps. Ever. I love this clutch from Noodlehead. If I disappear over the next few weeks, it's because I'm making these. Lots of these. For birthday presents, and Christmas presents, and teacher gifts, and for anytime I need a quick little present for someone. It takes hardly any fabric at all, and though it requires a zipper, if I can do it, so can you...and in about an hour, too.


Hobby Lobby only carries 7" and 9" zippers. The pattern calls for an 8" zipper so I bought 7" zippers. On my first clutch, I cut the fabric to 8" instead of 9" so that it would fit the 7" zipper. Bad idea. As you can see in the picture below, my zipper end covers on the pink clutch don't show much. In fact, they were a pain. On my second clutch, I just made the zipper end covers longer (4.5" x 1.5") and let them take the place of the extra length of the zipper. That was a much easier process and looks so much nicer. Hopefully on number three, I'll be able to center the zipper too!

These are for Kai's preschool teachers who are graduating this year. Stuffed with a few little treats.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. wow, those are great. And I like how you figured out how to make the different size zippers work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute. They would make awesome make-up bags too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love those! Just so you know...my birthday is this week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower :)
    I fell in love when I found Anna's Noodlehead tutorial for this gathered clutch also! I've made.....4 now? I love your fabrics! I already plan to make MANY as gifts as well :) Hopefully I can figure out the zipper/ends soon--I always seem to do something wrong!
    <3 Anngela
    http://anngelasprettylittlethings.blogspot.com/

    PS--I have a list similar to your "Projects waiting for their turn!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, i've attempted this tutorial twice and i'm having problems with the tabs. i increased the size of the tabs, but my problem is in the inside/outside turn. the tabs are bunched or have a hole by the zipper. do you sew the gathered part all the way thru the tab? do you sew the sides all thru the tab and then flip?

    ReplyDelete